PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So you need a new fleet Leigh?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2018, 03:20
Potsie Weber

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by IsDon

Certainly DM.

The distinction is the last paragraph, should the company wish to use it. In the past it has been used to redeploy surplus pilots to positions out of seniority. When the 743 was wound up, many of those on it, who had been frozen and bypassed at company discretion for years, were basically given their first preference for where they wanted to go, within reason. There wasn’t that many of us left at the end so it really didn’t upset that many.

It was also used on the 767 about 10 years ago. The exact date isn’t important, but I can dig it out if you need it. I was named on that list to, having just checked out on the 767 after the 743 RIN I was also part of. At that time the company promulgated a RIN on the 767 F/Os and proposed deploying those named to the 380 as F/Os. Obviously out of seniority, but that’s where the company wanted F/Os at that time. Also obviously, those named, as the most junior in the surplus category, were outbid for those positions by other 767 F/Os in the surplus category more senior to those named. So 6 (if memory serves) of the more senior 767 F/Os were awarded those 380 F/O positions out of seniority.

Thats not how the last 767 RIN was conducted, which has obviously led to an exacerbation of the training pipeline blockages we see now. It was conducted more along the lines of strict seniority, which kept the rank and file happy. That said it could have been done differently, the facility to do it still exists to this day.

In case you’re wondering, I’ve been personally named on 7 RIN lists during my time in Qantas. Not all resulted in me moving somewhere obviously. That said I consider myself quite well experienced in the matter.
I think a big issue was the 737 "A" pilots. The move was initially to say the RIN was outside the relevance of the Integration Agreement and that 767 pilots could just be moved to the 330 . The 737 pilots were having none of that, arguing the Integration Award must be considered and any positions on the 330 as a result of 767 retirement, should go to "A" pilots first as there was to be an increase in domestic A330 flying. The 737 pilots were also worried about it being used to "park" surplus pilots, being the cheapest fleet to carry a surplus. This complicated the RIN like never before.