PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving BA for low cost
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2018, 18:43
BitMoreRightRudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess 4 years in as a SH F/O will see you, ahem, “fly” up the list and gain some control fairly quickly. 10 years seniority on a popular LH fleet will see you just out of the bottom 3rd, maybe even the lofty heights of halfway! Only the 74) will see you top half by then.

On the ezy/BA theme, I think the big orange finally reached a point where rosters were so ridiculous they had to improve - it was certainly bonkers when I was there. If the rumours of new improved fixed roster patterns are true then we may see things develop to the point Ba actually start providing TR’d and experienced Captains to ezy, not the other way round. Which would be a turn up for the books. In reality I think BA are just a bit behind ezy on the cycle of stupid rostering and things will have to improve* as some point.

As things stand, BA lose very few pilots, although I know of one junior P1 who has quit for pastures new recently. Until that changes or we actually grow a pair as a collective and tell BA to poke off things will stay as they are. A moderately experienced pilot can have a lgw s/h command in BA within a couple of years of joining, I reckon that is as quick as it happens anywhere in Europe? Which says it all really. BA is no longer the holy grail, it’s just another airline job.

*I heard anecdotally that an ezy accountant asked why historically they lost so many pilots to BA. “Because our guys are so well trained” came the response.....”we could save a lot more if we didn’t train them so well” was said accountant’s retort - so when I say improve......