PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2018, 04:07
finestkind

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Red face

I I have had a quick scroll through the last few months. Some interesting conversations and some interesting points.
A couple of thoughts/points.
ASP like FSP is not a pass or fail course. It is an assessment of potential. Yes if you wish you may argue that Below Required Standard (BRS) is a fail but I will disagree. Everyone has potential. The ADF is not in the business of placing people on a course that they feel have a significant chance of not passing. Not good for the individual nor the company. Hence if you are BRS you have not failed anything. Your potential displayed puts you in the higher risk category for success on this course and as there are people that have MRS why would you place someone that is a high risk candidate in that situation.Anyone that starts giving facts and figures needs to be treated with a wee bit of “consideration”. I know the intent is generally positive in providing information but unless accurate can be detrimental. If I was a newbie and looked at Han’s post on 80% “failure” rate at ASP I certainly would not be instilled with a sense of confidence. The point above in the first para is relative, it’s not a failure. The other point is it’s not 80% BRS. The UK model is a 50% BRS. Ours is no different.Although there is a far bit of jousting that has and is going on in this thread with some negative input there are two things to remember. 1) If you make a statement, give an opinion on an open forum and don’t expect replies that in particular are not to your liking and you have difficulties with this than perhaps you should not post. By all means defend you post but do so in well-mannered way even if the other has not (yes I have not adhered to this but I’m old and grumpy). 2) In the bad old days pilot’s course was a **** sandwich with no bread. In other words it was a negative reinforcement style. “You failed that, do it again and you gone”. Thankfully that style of training/debrief is no longer around. That does not mean you are not critiqued. All it means is that now you get some bread with your sandwich. Why is this relevant? You will need to face up to debrief points and take criticism. If you cannot do that on a forum you may have difficulty doing so on course. And yes this is a different place than being debriefed by a wise all-knowing instructor, here you can argue back but when you defend your post do so in a positive manner (just like Tara).Remember being a kiddie and being told that you can be whatever you want to be? A little more definition on “want” would have been helpful. Want is not wish. Wishing does not make it so. If you want something you work for it. If you want to be in the ADF than go for it, work towards it. If you want to be an ADF pilot than go for it, work for it. It is not going to be given to you as a present.The forum has some good info. However people do get annoyed when someone comes on and starts laying down what it’s all about in a tone that shall we say rubs the wrong way and grates further when not actually 100% correct. So remember it’s not what you say so much as how you say it.
Good luck and good hunting.