PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaving BA for low cost
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 20:00
Northern Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reality is that it is swings and roundabouts.

When I left easyJet in 2011 it was a toxic atmosphere in which to work. An external management consultancy had completed a survey of employees and had used exactly that word, "toxic", in it's description of relations between front line staff and management. I remember how anti-company the majority of people I flew with were. No discretion, no favours, even no single engine taxi or reduced flap landings for some. I remember one captain starting the APU at 3000 feet because "it was a short taxi in". People were desperate to leave and many did. In the years since under the McCall regime, the airline seems to have become a much better place to work with excellent financial rewards on offer and better (if not perfect) rostering. The toxicity seems, to a large degree, to have been banished.

Meanwhile at BA you could argue over the same period that we have seen a general slide towards dissatisfaction amongst the pilot workforce. Bidline is soon to be history, we have less leave than we used to have, 34 pay points instead of 24, huge and rising profits and fairly poor bonuses compared to easyJet. The pilot only pseudo share plan is a very poor relation to the excellent SAYE and BAYE share schemes at easyJet.

There will come a tipping point soon though, as others have identified, where the pendulum will have swung too far and things will necessarily start to move in the opposite direction. Already BA do not have it as good as they used to when it comes to recruitment. I can't imagine, in 2011, anyone turning down the offer of a job with BA. But apparently, plenty do these days. Even for those who accept, some have changed their minds during their notice period. It has become a tortuous decision for some and particularly around the issue of pay. easyJet is an extremely profitable place to work at the moment and people have made significant sums of money from share schemes in addition to the much better command salary on offer when compared to an early command at BA.

Personally I still think BA is a pretty good job. My wife and I have travelled the world in Club at a tiny fraction of the commercial cost, I love the long haul job (but also love the fact I can switch back to short hall if the situation should dictate it) and the training and the people are absolutely fantastic for the most part. I would describe it as generally more "chilled out" than easyJet in terms of the day to day flying.

Bottom line, in another 7 years who is to say where we will be and which will be a better employer. Will the pendulum have swung again? Probably, I would suggest. I don't envy those trying to make the decision today as it is doubtless more complicated than when I made mine. All I would say is that whatever option you choose will not be a disaster. Think long and hard, and then don't look back.