PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 18:11
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps I could offer a couple of thoughts as this sorry saga nears its end. It's just over two years ago that the hapless Minister was made to stand up in Parliament and announce that:

Substantial operational, technical and commercial negotiations with a range of aerospace leaders in this field have failed to find a value for money approach to successfully repair and recover all 146 gliders. Consequently a comprehensive Air Cadet Organisation review has proposed restructuring this activity. It has been decided that the best value for money solution is to recover at least 73 Vikings, a reduced Vigilant fleet of up to 15 aircraft, combined with an uplift to Grob Tutor fixed wing Air Experience Flights (AEFs).

Don't forget that this particular bundle of nonsense was the result of two and a half years of effort by the RAF and the MoD to work out what to do with a broken fleet. Now, they find out that the Vigilants have had to be grounded, and scrapped. I, for one, do not believe for one second that a sudden instruction (at less than 48 hours notice) to stop flying the Vigilants had anything to do with funding. This was almost certainly another airworthiness issue. Another undetected, unknown, airworthiness issue. Anyone care to share with us what it is?

Also, would anyone care to let this forum know how the RAF and the MoD are doing with getting 'at least' 73 Vikings airworthy? (By the way, I use the term 'RAF and MoD' because this has been an epic failure in both the procurement and support area (the MoD) and in the 'continuing airworthiness' area (the RAF)). It would be interesting to know. What was the Viking recovery plan? You know, that piece of paper with months along the bottom and numbers of recovered aircraft up the side? Or a table? It HAS to exist. And it can't be classified - can it?

As an ex Air Cadet it pains me to say it, but the state of the UK defence budget means that the very rationale for the Air Cadet Gliding organisation needs to be examined. Don't forget that this is the world's largest military funded, owned and operated fleet of gliders, justified as a recruiting tool. Sorry, I just don't buy it. None of this is to disparage or criticise the magnificent efforts of the many volunteers who through the years willingly gave their time and sweat to get young people into the air. But honestly, I tend to think that there are better places to spend the money., within or outwith the RAF. Moreover, the RAF and the MoD have, once more, proved that they simply don't have the skill set or organisational 'nous' to safely put schoolchildren into the air. The idea of buying a replacement fleet surely can't survive any serious scrutiny.

Best Regards as ever to those having to pick up the pieces every time they're dropped

Engines