PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow-2
Thread: Heathrow-2
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2018, 07:24
MANFOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to agree with the sentiments expressed in the last 2 posts by Navpi and True Blue. We're far from a 'United' Kingdom in some respects and the DfT and current Transport Secretary are only emphasising that point whether intended or not.

With hindsight, it is easy to see why the Commission's conclusion was inevitable. If 'retaining the UK's hub status' was part of its purpose, what other conclusion was a committee led by an establishment figure likely to come to? The Gatwick traffic forecast was a travesty. And only belatedly did it dawn on folk that Davies was happy to sacrifice growth of direct services at important regional airports for the benefit of Heathrow expansion. In that light, the claim that R3 would benefit the whole of the UK looks like a complete sham.

I wish it were down to just gross incompetence. Incompetents can be got rid of and replaced hopefully by those slightly less incompetent. However, I feel it's reflective of a deeper rooted problem and frankly I don't see things changing anytime soon.