PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How much fuel?
Thread: How much fuel?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2018, 21:03
stallfail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree,.....but

Originally Posted by swh

SQ operated a number of their 777-200ERs in a regional configuration with a deactivated centre fuel tank effectively making them 200As, to do this the pin programming of the FGPU was changed by SQ. My guess is the FGPU from one of these aircraft was swapped onto this 200ER that was being used as an ER. Due to the SQ internal pin programming changes to the FGPU it performanced correctly as a 200A. The part was the correct part for the 200ER, just their poor Mx procedures could not catch the FGPU pin setup was wrong, it is Ann a SQ maintenance cockup, putting the wrong part on, unable to resolve a fuel discrepancy per the AMM.

Thus is what happens when good la engineers make procedures up on the fly not following the AMM and expect the aircraft to fix their mistakes.

The report is a joke, this is a systemic issue with SQs maintenance procedures.
I do agree agree with your statement and even there were a lot of discussion about all those cheese holes,which finally aligned, the primary problem is not related to SQ maintenance, nor to the flight crew , it is much more related to the way the industry is moving to.
Based on my practical knowledge, it seems ridiculous to me, not to be seriously alerted by a difference of about 40 tons fuel uplift difference.
Further not stopping the departure and figuring out what is going wrong and try to work it out in accordance with the Fuel Measuring Stick Manual (FMSM) is kind of awkward. Maybe this task was not manageable for this particular ground crew within the given timeframe, still they should have had the opportunity to call for help.
​​​​​​​In these days,flight crews neither maintenance staff, do not have the opportunity to gain their experience and proper judgment over years, instead regulators like FAA and EASA are following the commercial pressure and will simply agree to the demands given by the industry, which means you will find 3000 FH blokes on the LH seat in an airliner and you will find a CAT A signing off a 777.
This simply leads into decision making which is task orientated instead of being "common sense" based, meaning by that, we rely more and more on automated aircraft systems while loosing our senses whats wright and wrong (don't get me wrong, I really appreciate all these aids in modern aircrafts,cause it makes my life much more easier).