PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 15:22
pholling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Council Van
One, I only need one to put my flight bag, company ipad and uniform jacket in. They all fit in very easily with nothing on top of one another but of course our well trained security personal know better and insist that I use several.
While one data point does not disprove the null hypothesis you would be one of those well versed in the wonders of airport security. It is absolutely possible to get through on one or two trays, especially at Manchester where they are quite large, even with an infant we only used 3 most of the time. However, the disorganisation of so many seems to make this near impossible for lots of people. I agree that the staff at Manchester are often not particularly helpful. Though from my limited observation that seems to be inversely proportional to how busy it is. When things are quiet you can afford to use a dozen trays and accidentally leave liquids in your bag. When they are swamped you need efficient processing, something that seems to fall apart in MAN. That being said my last few trips though have been fine, but I tend to go through at less busy hours. My last trip thought T2 security, which was on a Saturday at 08:45 was smooth, the people I interacted with were pleasant and some I observed were friendly, it was not particularly busy though. I have seen the T1 and T3 cattle calls and quite rude staff. I have also seen a complete miss-staffing of T1 security where they had only 1 female security agent one two lanes and half the travellers passing through were women.

I will say that I avoid the airport, and certain terminals especially, on given days and at certain times. However, even my worst experiences have not been as bad as some of the ones I had at US airports when travelling several times a week. 4+ hour security lines at ATL (thankfully those are generally in the past) make the disasters at MAN seem quaint.

Originally Posted by Council Van
I did once query the need for more than one tray and the lady was quick to point out how she had been doing the job for nearly a whole year without actually giving me a proper answer.

A whole year in airport security, that could be a record at Manchester as who would tolerate that awful position and how badly they are treated by management for so long?

(Oddly I have not seen her since)

But who am I to argue, I'm just some some dumb pilot who sits at the front of 100T of aluminium often containing 20 odd T of fuel so I know nothing about aviation and flight safety do I?

Airport security, take it with laugh and good humour............
I see this all the time, not just with the security theatre.