PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Fuel Rules! Land in a "field" what a joke!
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 00:08
Dexta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donpizmeov
But this isn't Australia making up a rule to prevent fuel exhaustion . This is Australia aligning itself more with ICAO by implementing an ICAO recommended procedure of how to handle a Minimum Fuel situation . As stated before this was adopted by most of the world around three years ago. This is not going to help a GA driver going into a remote airfield .Nor is it intended too .Only fuel planning/management will do that . This is to ensure consistency for carriers flying into Australia, and Australian carriers flying overseas . Then a low fuel situation will be handled consistently (balloons bro exempted of course) throughout the world . Outside of controlled airfields it ain't much good is it. But more aligned procedures are a good thing.
Is not this "one rule for all" part of the systemic problem with Australian Aviation, as a private GA pilot flying solo over an uncontrolled airfield I am now bound by law to call a Fuel Mayday if I choose to land with 29 minutes of fuel remaining, and before all you commercial pilots jump up and down about planning etc, I'm over my own airfield, on a clear day, and about to drain the tanks for a fuel calibration. If a CASA FOI just happens to be strolling by and decides to ramp check me then I have committed an offence by not calling a fuel mayday, but realistically, truthfully what is the safety risk? Is the risk of fuel exhaustion greater than the risk of the wings falling off, being hit by a meteor etc?
For commercial, fee paying flights, sure but for certain private flights not so much, but it now gives CASA another weapon to financially cripple some poor private pilot if they take a disliking to them, and do not say this doesn't happen. It would not be hard to make the rule for commercial flights or for private flights greater than 50nm.

Dexta
P.S. looks like LB beat me too it.

Last edited by Dexta; 22nd Jun 2018 at 00:09. Reason: Posted after LB's post