PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Start Talks on E-3D Replacement
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2018, 11:40
AnglianAV8R

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bear with me on this, I have an idea.

The outdated concept of having a huge rotating dish mounted astride the airframe results in considerable aerodynamic penalties.
Likewise, the rigid mounted scanner atop the airframe is all very well for minor air arms, but we are above all that and see ourselves as leaders in the field.
So, what is needed here is a new approach that embraces advances in computing technology, particularly the ability to have a networked solution, by producing a screen image formed from more than one radar array.
So, here's what we could do: Have two radars mounted at the fore and aft extremities of the airframe, in aerodynamic fairings which give a much improved drag factor, thus improving endurance. This could be achieved by adapting an existing type. It could be argued that we have managed without any long range maritime patrol capability for a long time and that nine airframes is more than we need. So, we can divert three P8s, strip the MP kit from them to sustain the remaining six and convert three to AEW.
I know this is rather unorthodox and nobody has tried anything like this before, but I believe it has potential.
Politically, this could be a welcome boost to UK industry and job creation.
What could possibly go wrong?