PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2018, 12:18
am111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hans brinker
Never thought I would say it but aviation is a dumpster for starting pilots in the EU compered to the US.
This is just plain wrong. I'm a newly qualified European pilot, married to an American so have the right to work in both the EU & US, so I've looked into this.

The main difference is that newly qualified cadets such as myself, rightly or wrongly, can get into the right hand seat of a commercial air liner with <200 hours. In the US (not sure on Canada) you have to do 1000 odd hours of instructing/crop dusting/parachute drops/banner towing for a hell of a lot less than a Ryanair FO. Ryanair and easyJet have or are ending the temporary/zero hour contracts, they're recognising unions and social security is built into our taxes. Now, I'm not saying their T&Cs are as good as the legacies, but I know where I would much rather do my first 1500 hours. And its my understanding from there you can get into any of the European majors off the street. In the US you have to go through a regional and have a university degree before the Majors will even look at you.