PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2018, 03:44
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phonetic
I have the same background as you, except I'm a dual Canadian/British passport holder, and dual TCCA/EASA ATPL holder. About 9 type ratings for many of the same reasons as you, flown in Asia also.

I think this comment is nonsense. Maybe you should have gotten your EASA licence, and worked in the UK (not on a validation) before making those comments. You might see things differently. Then again, the majority of Canadian pilots (not necessarily you btw) are scared to death of the EASA ATPL exams, as most would never get through them.

Additionally, your comment about hour requirements, and no cadet programs is grossly outdated. In the 90's, and early 2000's, these comments would have rung true, but not in 2018.

To be honest, I feel worse for the Canadian kids who can't/won't make any money in their careers. You'd make more money as a TTC bus driver in Canada nowadays. It's a shame.

Cheers!
So, not Canadian, dual EU/USA passport, flew in EU (on a full JAA ATPL) for a decade, and for the last decade in the USA. I have only 6 type ratings.. I don't know about the bus drivers here, but a second year FO at pretty much any non-regional is making over $100K. Over 95% of the people getting on at such places have over 2000 hours. There is ONE ab-initio program (JetBlue) up and running, and it starts with a 4 year degree, followed by a year or two of flight instructing, ALL PAID FOR BY THE STUDENT, around $200K). Beginning pilots go to the regionals and make (including sign-up bonusus) $65K/year. Again, I know nothing about Canada, but I definitely prefer the current situation here over the situation in the EU. Correct me if I am wrong, but none of the legacies hire of the street, if you don't do the approved school and are young enough you can forget about getting in (possibly different at BA, my experience is KLM/DLH). If you can't get onto a legacy your options are Ryanair/WOW/Vueling/Wizz/NAS and so on: temporary/zero hour contracts, no union protections, no social security. Never thought I would say it but aviation is a dumpster for starting pilots in the EU compered to the US.