PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Niugini's subsidiary - LINK PNG
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2018, 11:57
David Billings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SeaEagle: I only got the first bit from the guy on the steps speaking to the crowd but what he did say at first was that "the Balus (aircraft) is property of Air Niugini and it is safe." [Emi Sef] So much for that. Tok Pisin is rattled off very quickly in stressful times like this and maybe some of the talk was in the local Mendi dialect. (7000 languages are said to be in PNG).
The guy in the dark blue in front of the crowd looked to be a member of the Police Force and there were armed men there, but there is no way they would shoot rioters up there, too much payback.

On Loop TV this was said in the comments:
"PM, inogat nid long singautim SOE... Dispela ol manmeri ino ol longlong ol i save gut tumas olsem ol i rong tasol ol i go het na mekim... salim tupela Politicians go bek lo ol lain bilong ol na larim tupela toktok lo ol manmeri osem ol i bin tokim ol bipo lo eleksen petisen... PM, usim Rule Of Law istap pinis na stretim dispela hevi. Olgeta APEC countries long wolrd bai i gatim tupela kain tinktink long karim jet bilong ol ikam insait long Papua New Guinea lo wenem ol Mendi manmeri inogatim poret tinktink lo kukim balus."

My translation: "It was not necessary for the Prime Minister to call a State of Emergency. All the men and women here are not all crazy and know too well it is wrong to go nuts.... get the two Politicians to go back to all the business belonging to all the people involved and leave the two people to talk it out among themselves in the same way that they were before the election petition. The Prime Minister should use the Rule of Law, period, and straighten out this problem. All the APEC countries in the world are coming here and they will be thinking twice about bringing jet aircraft carrying all that come inside Papua New Guinea where the name of the Mendi people are now known not to have forward thinking and who burn aircraft....