PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Niugini's subsidiary - LINK PNG
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2018, 07:54
Seaeagle109

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The Sleeping Pax,

Yes, Air Force 1 could quite easily land at POM, the Japanese brought 2 B747 in a few years ago for some conference or official visit as I recall. The more pertinent question is where are they going to park all the aircraft that will be arriving for APEC as there's nowhere near enough Tarmac space for all the hardware that'll be turning up and the military apron is reported to be to soft to handle the sort of aircraft that'll be coming to visit. The last APEC in Da Nang, the place was a plane spotters paradice, not only AF1 but all the military transports for the Presidential vehicles and support staff, multiple heads of state aircraft( B747, A330, etc) and a reported 40 to 50 business jets.

This will be when the normal operations are all taking place as well.

I heard from a PX manager that the Dash-8 was insured and the coverage, apparently, includes provision for civil unrest/ riot damage; that kind of coverage would be expensive but he reckons it's covered.

Also, HMAS Canberra is the lead ship of the two ship Canberra class Amphibious Assault Ships otherwise known as a Landing Helicopter Dock (LHD)( source the RAN website). It's not really an aircraft carrier I'm told in a classic sense but I'm not a Navy guy, so who knows.