PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Fuel Rules! Land in a "field" what a joke!
Old 14th Jun 2018, 12:01
Lead Balloon

Received 411 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Wizofoz
You've made the case for carrying an alternate- you just can't know you will be able to land at your destination.

It's what I'm saying about Australia being different. I flew overseas for 14 years. I didn't do the flight-planning, professional dispatchers did to the rules in place, which were all roughly similar.

I didn't depart without fuel to a filed alternate once in all that time.

Your perspective is irrelevant. You are subject to the regulations you fly to, and if you have less that FR fuel, it's an emergency.

Now, lets say there ate three aircraft all trying to land once the disabled aircraft has been removed- which one has priority to land?

The one who has declared an emergency, obviously.

I'm still not seeing the problem- what exactly is it about "blabbing Mayday"- that is, identifying yourself as an aircraft in a legally defined state of distress-that is in any way detrimental to your situation?
It therefore follows that you’re advocating for mandatory alternates, irrespective of weather and other information pre-flight. If so, I would ask: Do you do much flying in ‘outback’ Australia?

My perspective is centrally relevant. It’s the perspective on the basis of which I do stuff. In the scenario I gave, it isn’t objectively an emergency, it’s not an emergency in my mind and I’m not transmitting a mayday. You and anyone else can hold your breath until your face turns blue, but I’ll declare an emergency when and if I decide my passengers and I are in grave and imminent danger and the transmission of a mayday will make a difference.

I’ll make you a promise: On the day that a wheels-up aircraft is jammed at the intersection of the runways at YTIB and there are three aircraft inbound close to consuming fuel to FFR, I’ll buy you a lottery ticket and cartwheel nude down George Street (or whichever capital city Main Street you choose.)