PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Fuel Rules! Land in a "field" what a joke!
Old 14th Jun 2018, 10:08
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
Your calm and sober posts assume that all destinations are surrounded by safe landing sites, and assume all circumstances in which some of the FFR is consumed are caused by mistakes on the part of the PIC.

Pardon my hysteria, but I’d suggest your assumptions may not be valid.

You’re flying from YBHI to YTIB. You plan to carry, and triple check that you’re carrying, 45 minutes’ margin. Your enroute checks confirm that you should arrive arrive overhead YTIB with 45 minutes’ margin, as planned.

10 miles out you put out a CTAF call. You receive a response from ABC: “I’m on the ground at YTIB. My mate in DEF has just landed wheels up in his Baron and is on the sealed runway at the intersection of it and the gravel runway. The refueller’s on his way. He says that we should be able to drag DEF off the runway within 20 minutes.”

There’s insufficient fuel to return to YBHI.

What mistakes did you make and where will you be conducting your forced landing?
You didn't carry fuel to an alternate, like everywhere else in the world does- Just joking (kind of).

But I don't see your point- you are now in an emergency. That is the point of the regulation- have FR fuel or it's an emergency and you land? Wherever is safest.