PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2018, 17:02
Catalytic Ignition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Everyone

I have just attended an unsuccessful attempt at the AJX screening. The screening was very professional. The conduct & presentation is second to none that I have seen anywhere yet. The interview is very relaxed with actually a very different approach I found. From the moment the first question is asked there is a real feeling that they are wanting to hear from you how exactly the commuting type of business will suite you or not. They also really want you to pass the assessment.

The questions were very orientated around how will your family deal with the long duration of the type rating training etc. A few techno questions too. I had 3 Captains & a lady from HR.

Before the interview there is a very thorough Briefing on the 3 SIM profiles(did I mention thorough). I would suggest you knowing the Pitch & thrust settings for each phase (segment of flight ) without thinking. He quized me on a few during the briefing to gather my study preparation etc. I must admit the SIM would be IMPOSSIBLE to fly the way they want you to without knowing these. Yes you could get away by doing it your way but then again you would then be sliming your chances.

My ultimate undoing was not knowing intimately these pitch & power settings. I knew them but not in my sleep so to speak, & when the workload got high, it is these especially thrust settings that can save your bacon. Because you could then set the thrust & concentrate the hell out on your scan & pitch etc. Everytime you change thrust there is a pitching change & everytime you take flap there is pitch change. These are basics but your workload is high if you don't know what ballpark thrust to set to unload some RAM to scan, adjust & hold.

I am disappointed I did not make the cut but ultimately I leave the above post to aspiring aviators for the same role. It might just help you by reading this.
Awesome Gig to have not got unfortunately...

Safe skies!

Best of luck!

​​​​