PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2018, 13:32
FFMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MANFOD
On e-gates, I've been rejected the last 2 times and along with a dozen others was re-directed to the staffed desks. At least there was a MAN staff member allowing us to filter in the main queue rather than going to the back of it. Nevertheless, it would be frustrating if you'd had a wait for the e-gates first.
My passport is always rejected at the e-gates. Despite me telling the staff at entry, they still make me go through the inevitable rigmarole - three swipes and you're out - wasting my time and the time of the people tutting behind me.
Once, when I mentioned that my passport never worked in the e-gates, a very helpful Border agent suggested that it could be something to do with the thicker 32 page passport that a lot of us frequent flyers use. Because the spine is thicker it doesn't fold back quite flat. Also the attempt to do so pulls the scan page slightly out of line. Try it if you have one. It seems quite a plausible explanation.
If this is the case then perhaps people with 32 page passports can go directly to the line instead of wasting our(and other people's) time?