PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - In-Flight Airplane hacked - from the ground
Old 12th Jun 2018, 21:55
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tdracer
I might take some of these claims of hacking aircraft more seriously if they weren't so laughably false. 737 doesn't even have EICAS...
This guy is a B.S. artist from what I can see. More claims about his hacks from a conference talk in 2012 at around 47:00 into the clip:

Those are fun. I got into trouble for playing with the Space Station s**t what was it seven, eight, nine years ... how many years ago was that? Crap. Eight, nine years ago we messed around with the Space Station. We adjusted the temperature on it. It was quite fun. We got yelled at by NASA. If they're going to leave open s**t that's not encrypted that's their own damn silly fault.

...We tried. The Curiosity Rover on Mars. The suggestion was to take that for a spin. We've actually started to investigate it.

The closest we've done is figure out exactly how they're communicating, how they're controlling it, and we might have one or two of the passwords for some of the software that we know are still in default mode. But the problem is actually getting into it without breaking more laws than we're used to breaking. No, I think NASA would probably really get pissed at me for that one.
Might fool a hippie liberal arts major tech journalist though...