PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK & FZ latest offers
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2018, 18:04
High Energy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Triple Nickel 8 Ball
Hi all...

Been a while since I posted.

I was due to go for assessment in December last year for FZ and then, out of the blue (no pun etc....), I was offered another Corporate job, thats local, isn't mental busy and with a really decent boss......HOWEVER....I still have that Boeing itch that I want to scratch and long term, I would like the security that flying a narrow body for a company like FZ offers as well as the opportunity for a commuting roster out of Xiamen or similar...?? My other concern is that this gig isn't going to last for a long time....security in my job, is high on my priority list and, knowing where I am and when, if possible. 24/7 call out is boring me now, after 12 years or so...

I have a young family and the chance/adventure of living out in DXB kind of appeals....especially with the possibility of private education etc. I wouldn't expect it to be forever....but would do it with a plan in mind. So, I guess I want to know more.....but am after a balanced response, because I know this can be difficult, even if a pilot has had one crap day out of say 10?! I need to visit DXB with my family, of course, but I have ben there plenty in the Corp stuff and have a few friends there at EK and training on Corp Jets at CAE too (no...not the 737 for EZ!).

I have 5 jet type ratings (4 of which are multi crew). Am I going to struggle with the technical aspects of getting to grips with the 737, to FZ standards (I've around 4000 hours....2.5 of which are in multi jets...mostly PIC), or is it straight forward enough? I've read mixed thoughts on this.
I'm expecting raw data flying for the assessment (any threads anywhere with a good handle on what to look up /practise in advance)??
Whilst expecting to do a number of deep nights, is it true that I am likely never to see the sun?? I'm thinking, I would prefer to get home a lot and at least drop the kids to school after sharing breakfast, or pick them up and share a quick dinner before I head off again....is this realistic? Or, is it better than I am anticipating?

Thanks all...... don't shoot me down.... PRETTY PLEASE!!

Sorry if I have gone round in circles....but I would like some honest opinions.
Fair questions. As a DEC you have to understand that literally everybody, irrespective of their seat, will always stay ahead of you as we only have one seniority list. If you join now you'll have about 850 pilots ahead of you. Forget about leave during school holidays. Roster wise you'll end up with a few more nights but I've been looking at many popular daytime flights and so often they are flown by junior Captains. Why? I have no clue.

I do think you'll at least have the option to bring your kids to school or pick them up. Same still goes for me. I'm very content with our private school. Kids are doing fantastic and I'm only about 2000 aed p/yr in total out of budget , excl uniforms and erverything else that comes with it. School rates are frozen for this year and bear in mind that the schools rating by the KHDA determines their fee and increase. An expensive school is however not always a good school.

The assessment does have some raw data flying incl a circuit after a G/A. (last I heard so maybe someone else knows better) Basically if you survive the CAE typerating and still have your sanity you'll fit right in. You'll then get to flydubai training and suddenly realize you've been doing it all wrong as CAE does not have a clue. Training at flydubai has changed in the last year and a half from checking to training and is actually quite pleasent and a welcome development. The trick here is to study harder than you have ever done before. We have about 37 manuals and dozens and dozens of notices and memo's to remember. Manuals get updates really slowly. If you put the work in and the trainers see that you'll be allright. If you haven't they'll tear you apart. And you'll have tonnes of other stuff to worry about when you join wrt housing, paperwork etc etc etc.

flydubai is a stable job too. Most locals go on the big jets at EK so they need many folks here. Especially with 200+ more 737's coming...