PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 12th Jun 2018, 07:20
BANANASBANANAS

Received 116 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by UB6IB9
Any new FO’s with 3+ little children care to share their opinions on EK and DXB? Schedules? Schools? Is it nearly impossible to save anything?

PM’s also welcome.
Cheers

i joined as a DEC but I do know of FOs with 4 children and it is a real, real struggle for them. And these are FOs with 4-5 years of seniority with a higher basic salary than a new joiner. The delta between their costs and ther salary is only going to get wider and wider as EK slavishly follows its low cost mantra of 'drive down costs' while inflation, increasing existing fees and other new costs chip away at their already reduced disposable (if any) income.

if the wife looks at working to make a contribution then all of her salary goes on paying the maid unless wife is very well qualified and can get a very good job - in which case you would invariably be better off and happier staying where you are.

If I could presume to offer some words of advice, it would be as follows;

Don't get blinded by 'shiny jet' syndrome. It wears real thin, real quick.

Be aware that you will be signing a 5 year bond effective from your skills test (about 3 months after arrival) and you can feel trapped as the cost of living plus set up costs (factor in a car loan plus furniture allowance from EK which has also to be paid back pro rata if you leave inside 4 years I think) drives you into debt but you can't afford to leave because of the 5 year bond - which used to only be 3 years plus the other loans that you will take out. Ask yourself why you think EK increased the bond period and try to have the financial option of being able to leave whenever you wish. Just knowing you have that option enables you to view the job through a totally different pair of eyes. If you won't be able to do that (and not many can) then be ready to feel trapped for 3-4 years at least. It is not a nice feeling.

Do not regard EK as a career. It used to be but the brutal rostering, constant downward pressure on terms and conditions mean it is now just a stepping stone to somewhere else. If you feel that the 'somewhere else' will be back in your home country then you will be better off, long term, staying put and building your seniority.

Do not get blinded by the.headline salary on offer. Disposable income is what you need to look at and, as a new FO with 3+ children, you just won't have any.

You will be leaving your existing support network behind - family, close friends, Union etc and whilst Emirates pilots are generally an excellent bunch of people, you can still feel very alone when trying to deal with the myriad of issues that go hand in hand with expat life. Be ready for this and be honest with yourself and the family that will accompany you. It is stressful and can damage relationships.

If you wsh to pm me please feel free.

Last edited by BANANASBANANAS; 12th Jun 2018 at 07:47.