PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2018, 16:49
GreenATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

[QUOTE=chips1;

As I'm led to believe, basic training is in either Swanwick, Gloucester or Jerez and lasts two months or so. Then for area control, yes, either Swanwick or Prestwick.
As for how often training positions become available in Prestwick, I personally do not know the rate of recruitment for Prestwick; I regret to say the answer is probably "in line with the demands of the business". On that note, I was told by a NATS employee that once, a group of trainees completed their area control training and then right before they were to be posted, NATS needed more tower controllers, and so they ALL retrained to become tower controllers. Based on this, your guess is as good as mine when it comes to recruitment rates.

After the basic training (2-3 months), and the specific training (area: +9 months / aerodrome: +5 months / aerodrome/approach: +8 months), you then have 12-18 months of work placements. I do not believe that where your work placement is is always where you'll be posted once you validate. For example, if you were a tower controller in Heathrow on your work placement, at the end of the placement once you become validated, there may be a need for a tower controller in Aberdeen. Off to Aberdeen you go! (Everyone seems to hate Aberdeen, haha, I'm not entirely sure why but it gets scapegoated a lot!) However, it is probably very likely that those who train as an Area Controller in Swanwick will probably then validate and continue to work in Swanwick. From what I've read and people I've spoken to, that seems to be the case. I imagine it's probably very similar for Prestwick. Finally, while the demands of the business take priority, it is not unheard of to have your preferences accommodated for: on youtube search for this "NATS TRAINEES ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS PART 1 ASKNATS.

I tried to post a link but the forum wouldn't let me.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your Stage 2!