PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheer Bad Luck
Thread: Sheer Bad Luck
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2018, 10:43
chopjock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bront,
Thank you for your concern, obviously your hypothetical helicopter would not be safe to fly in your hypothetical scenario. (You would be over torquing as you know).
So your hypothetical helicopter is sat there in a ground effect hover, already at 95% torque with the max 1900kgs pull allowed on the main shaft. What happens to the amount of pull on the main shaft when you accelerate upwards? It increases, obviously. So there is a max safe limit of the amount of pull you can apply. I'm saying provided you do not exceed this limit, (measured on the torque /tot gauge) then from a stress point of view it's no different, obviously if you can't do it then don't. This max limit allows for a max all up mass aircraft to climb at a given performance. If you add a little more weight you will have to accept a little less performance in exchange, meaning the "max pull" on the main shaft is the same. I would obviously avoid 2g turns if I was over weight!
However there can equally be a scenario whereby you can be at max weight, on a cold morning at sea level and have enough power to climb out at say 800ft/min and measure the pull on the main shaft by observing the torque / tot gauges,(whilst staying in the green) say equivalent to 1500kgs pull on the main shaft.
If you then land and add weight putting you 150kgs over the limit, then take off pulling the same torque as previously noted and being equivalent to the same 1500kgs pull on the main shaft, you will have traded a lower ROC or none at all (perhaps only 250 ft/min) for the extra weight, but with the same pull. Surely?
Anyway, just my opinion every one, for which I am entitled to have... Newbies if you are reading this, when I say it's fine or OK I am referring to a stress point of view. I am not suggesting it's ok for general practice.

Last edited by chopjock; 10th Jun 2018 at 12:18.