PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash - Lively Island (FI, 1982)
Old 7th Jun 2018, 00:13
megan

Received 392 Likes on 207 Posts
Thirteen miles also agrees with the point given in Choiseul Sound where the aircraft is said to have gone down. Without identifiable wreckage any assumptions are pointless. Don your scuba gear and start diving.

I researched the location of my brothers death in a fire fight in Vietnam. The after action report gave one location and the regimental daily diary gave another, about one kilometre apart. I can well imagine the difficulty a patrol might have in navigating on foot in thick jungle, so perhaps the after action report made by the patrol leader is in error, Who knows. Media report gave the event happening 160 kilometres distant. Talking to the other participants they described the physical environment perfectly, six foot diameter tree and prominent track alignment, the only trouble being when we visited the site the thick tropical jungle that had been in existence at the time had been cleared and was now grassland. So the exact site will never be known.

Impressive snap.

Captain Pablo Carballo, in the left plane, and Lieutenant Carlos Rinke, right, skimmed just a few feet above the water to avoid radar detection. Both pilots survived because the Sea Wolf missile system on HMS Broadsword was unable to choose between their A-4s when they became visible on the radar.The aircrafts released one bomb each. One missed the target, while the other one hit the Broadsword, in spite of the intense anti-aircraft fire.

Last edited by megan; 7th Jun 2018 at 06:05. Reason: Photo