PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible near mid-air - finding out details...
Old 5th Jun 2018, 19:19
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oscar Charlie, it might help to get a new pair of specs; I currently own SEVEN ! - one for piano, one for computer, one for reading the Times, etc. and TWO FOR FLYING! because the rules require you to have two pair handy, in case you drop one out the DV panel! And one of these is for cloudy days, the other for bright sun. And the most dangerous flight path is along a hill into low and bright sun, can't see ANYTHING.

I had a close call flying the tug on a hillside, climbing out of Shenington with a glider on tow, at about three hundred feet. Observing another aircraft coming toward me, also following the hill to use hill lift.....WOAH! That traffic is NOT another glider at a distance, it is a MODEL GLIDER! and very close indeed to our combination. The owner, down on the hillside, was freaking out big time. The instructor flying the glider on tow behind me hadn't noticed the problem. I turned left, very sharply indeed, and she followed the tug very nicely, and not until we had landed much later did we find it funny.