PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Touch and go distance vs. landing/takeoff distance
Old 27th May 2018, 19:43
rnzoli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, it's not LHTL, that's really long.
It's another private airfield with 410 m paved runway. It is owned by a former aerobatic pilot, so I thought if he can put his fast and powerful aircraft down there, I should be able to do that with my slow kite too :P
And yes, the plan was to touch down on main wheels and immediately power up, without even touching down on the nose wheel. I did that at another (longer) grass field earlier this year, and it was kind of cool
Now, as often does in aviation, something completely different happened, due to the narrow runway I got the illusion of being high.
So we experienced a mild, but still dangerous nose wheel touchdown first, with all the porpoising effect that followed. I just tried and of course, couldn't arrest the second touchdown (albeit on main wheel first this time), and powered up from there, kept it airborne in ground effect, got the flaps to T/O, checked RPM selector etc. Still, speed was not really increasing yet, so I was afraid of pulling too agressively, but a tree ahead grew uncomfortably big, so I decided to turn slightly.
(I have got the sequence on video, not for public use, but if you're interested, send me a PM and willl send you the link to it.)