PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guimbal Cabri G2
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2018, 04:30
Bell_ringer

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by r22butters
When I flew the Schweizer the instructors couldn't upsell the 300 without speaking ill of the R22. When I flew the Enstrom the instructor could not upsell his aircraft without speaking ill of the R22. When I first flew the R22 there was no mention of any other aircraft, in fact my instructor didn't even know what a 300 was!
Well, once you have flown other types you can appreciate the differences, many of those that operate on a Robbie have little experience on anything else as reference.
The 22 is a tool for a job, but as mentioned further above, it is old tech (not that a 300 isn't), cramped, and as basic as an aircraft can get short of a rotorway.
It doesn't always come down to money.
Give the 22 it's due, but as long as some of the fanatics continue to believe it is the best thing since sliced bread they will never be prepared to accept any criticism.
Given the choice today, I would far rather have trained on a Cabri, even for a few bucks more as it is a cheaper option than training on a 44 and a safer (relatively speaking) platform than the 22 (not to mention one that is more comfortable for the taller folks out there).
The Cabri was targeted at those that intend flying larger aircraft with a conventional control layout, particularly airbus, providing fenestron experience.
People will continue to bash the 22, like they will bash cheap and nasty cars from the east - they may do the job, but the only reason people use them is that's all they can afford, and given the choice would rather be in something more substantial..