PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Personality test - what's the deal?
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2018, 08:13
VinRouge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baltic Skies
Don't put too much emphasis on any form of personality or aptitude test.
In my 31 years of flying,i have come across all sorts,some of whom i would never expect to be in charge of an airliner,quite alarming really.
Aviation,although highly regulated,has the same cross section of humanity as any other profession.
Total professionals,extroverts,introverts,religious zelots,aetheists,alcoholics,manic depressives,you name them,you will meet them.
The one trait you will need is to be tolerant and remain calm,when a colleague is driving you to distraction.
If you work for a major outfit,chances are you will never fly with them again,or at least for a few years.
I see a lot of OCD and evidence of on spectrum higher functioning disorders in the flight deck too. At times, it actually makes us quite good at the job, as long as it doesn't get in the way of the interpersonal skills element of the job.

Alcoholism, yes, although much less now than 15 years ago. Introvert/extrovert thing can be disguised with a decent awareness for routine operation - BUT, here's the but, from what I have seen, you cant hide your highly stressed reversionary type.

I think this is what British Airways and those completing extended simulator checks at interview are getting at. A quick ILS and engine failure, you don't get to see that.

I would say try and think about how you would respond in a couple of multi crew aviation situations, what your natural reaction would be and how, if this is a negative trait, how you will firstly recognise it (open feedback from crew is essential here) and how you will mitigate it. The one big rule of CRM is that safe operation of the task is EVERYTHING. Personal differences, beliefs, cultural differences, matter not a jot. You let that shizzle get into the flight deck, you are being highly unprofessional and letting the 200+ paying punters behind you down. If it's not safety related, I generally will not press the flesh in the cockpit, but will make a point of bringing up and discussing post flight debrief. That again is your job. Don't ever let an experienced captain fly you into a hillside or run you out of fuel. Its been done before, it will be done again and its your job as an employee and professional to prevent it.