PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To be or not to be? mentorship / sponsorship
Old 20th May 2018, 16:03
Minotaur12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be or not to be? mentorship / sponsorship

I'm mainly fishing around to see what peoples opinion is on mentored or sponsored routes? For me, given my circumstances and beliefs integrated is the way to go (I know many of you will be facepalming now) and obviously it seems like a hugely privileged position for an airline to assist you going through the training, but on one of the aviation podcasts that I listen to, the panel was discussing sponsored / mentored routes and their beliefs and I heard some interesting perspectives on the matter - namely:
the current state of the market is such that guaranteed job offers are increasingly losing their value because of how quickly you can get a job out of training anyway,
they charge more money for such schemes overall - usually around 7,000 - 12,000 EUR more which isn't so much considering the cost overall of training but why are the charging it?
you're tied to an airline after that and whatever they deem fit to pay you.

Now theres a lot of schemes available post training to afford the type rating with airlines now sponsoring type ratings so ... what do you guys think? for the experienced please bear in mind that whilst Ive listened a lot to things on aviation, I'm still at the start of the venture where you may be already licenced. Is it worth hanging out for one or not? Be nice people!!