PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2018, 19:21
Olympia 463

Pobjoy is right. Not only right, but if he is brave enough he can make it happen

In about 1962-3 the ATC squadron at Meir (I don't remember its number) in Staffordshire was disbanded. The then now ex ATC CFI and several of the instructors (most of whom worked in the company where I was Chief Mechanical Designer) put it about that we might start a gliding club to operate on the now disused airfield. I and several colleagues attended a meeting in a pub at Stoke on Trent and decided to raise the cash needed to get a basic set of kit together - a T31, a second hand winch, an Aldis lamp, and a government surplus Land Rover. When I left Meir in 1969 the Staffordshire Gliding Club had trained over thirty ab-initios to solo standard, had added two more gliders a Capstan and a Swallow, to the club fleet and had three syndicates (I started one) operating Olympia 2Bs and one 463. Numerous Silver legs had been gained (I had two) and two of the original ab initios were now instructors (me again). Our technical team by this time had built a new diesel winch of my design which I adapted from two old lorries..

It can be done if the will is there. Get out there and do it. And enjoy the egg on the faces at 2FTS.