PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates - Trying to understand the financial Equation
Old 13th May 2018, 17:14
Xulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crewdude
Thank you for the information. Now I fully understand the associated expenses and take home pay. Much better picture. Now i need to ask myself if I want to sell my soul for that kind of money. That's a conversation between my body and brain at the bar tonight.
This is right. The money is good for a single person. But nowadays working unsustainably hard.

This means you suddenly have to start saving every penny to be able to leave, then you find yourself having those discussions with yourself as to wtf you’re doing.

Long haul is different to short haul. At 75hrs a month this is a great job I recommend. At 95hrs it’s a nightmare we want to stop. You are either accumulating or recovering fatigue; constantly on the wrong side of that line is nasty.

When I started I scoffed at only 2 days off between trips - now it’s the norm.

The problem is, the only way out is to hire many hundreds of pilots. It won’t get better until we attract those numbers. It’s hard to advertise the job on a promise that hours will drop.