PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Captain Rape Claim Lawsuit Filed in Seattle
Old 9th May 2018, 13:04
Blind Squirrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A Squared
You seem to have the two incidents confused, the incident Deltasierra10 is referring to involved a flight attendant, not a "commercial pilot" and the details you cite are also from the flight attendants alleged rape.
Very true, ASquared, and I thank you for the correction. We are indeed speaking of a FA here. However, my point was not about the credibility of particular occupational categories -- I have no idea whether flight attendants are more or less believable than pilots, or dispatchers than ATCOs, or Web designers than deep-sea fishermen -- than about the balance of probabilities. We simply don't see a spate of devious, Machiavellian women (or men) in commercial aviation manufacturing rape claims out of whole cloth, for fun or profit, so as to ambush hapless captains. This, you will recall, was the nightmare scenario conjured up by DS010. On the other hand, we have seen an avalanche of cases in which powerful individuals in innumerable occupational categories exploit that power so as to victimise less powerful people sexually, and do so for years or decades with impunity. Yet when it comes to sexual offences, so many of us are swift to entertain the improbable scenario rather than the likely one.

Nobody is denying the defendant in this case his day in court, with all the protections that due process can provide. But when I read of a case like this, with two possible explanations, I know in which direction the odds are pointing.