PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TSB flight recorder recommendations
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2018, 02:11
JV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roybert
JV
Anyone who can afford to buy a twin engine aircraft isn't going to be arguing over the cost to install a FDR. And yes the costs to install one after the fact might climb up but still a worthwhile piece of tech.
Happy that pilotDAR made his statement. Hey, I would love nothing more than live in a perfect world where all tools were available at all times to enhance the wellbeing of everybody.

Back to my unicorn and mother theresa analogy, real life does not work that way. As pilotDAR indicated, that orange box in a what, 40 or 50 year old airplane, which now costs peanuts, is an unrealistic expectation financially, it would cost huge money for that orange box with all of the specialized applications of non ADC driven systems to be incorporated in such things as navajos. Might as well change airframes, which these operators probably could not afford anyway, which means that a segment of aviation disappears. Because of cost. Because of an orange box.

Maybe that is the way aviation is going? Big airlines and military only? No general aviation? Seen it in third world countries where there is in fact only a state owned airline and a military, both funded by taxpayer money, and international debt. With the conspicuous absence of private capital, no matter how small it may be.

I would love to impart a view of reasonableness and rationality within the ranks of the public service. My experience indicates a disconnected world where money is no object, so they think money is no object for anyone else. You only need to turn on the news, or look at your iphone and listen or read the stuff that is out there for the consumption of the general public.