PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belfast International-2
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2018, 15:26
tigger2k8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EI-EIDW
Minor point but I'm sure security is not contracted out by the daa because they get fines if they don't meet targets.

2 hours is just down to bad planning especially on a bank holiday.
There is only so much planning you can do with a lack of available / skilled staff and procedures change not to mention working time regulations, I feel like this point has been overlooked already in my post.

Its not like hiring someone for a shop that can start in a week..

Originally Posted by EGAC is Better

I understand that things go wrong but it must have been planned on a shoestring if, as you say, a few people failed to turn up and it caused a mess.

Is anything being done to protect the priority security lines during these busy times? Or, are they also being swamped by people paying at the top of the stairs? I have an annual pass for fast track for a reason...that reason is so I can turn up with minimal time before my flight and reasonably expect to make it. If that reason goes away, I will re-assess whether or not to move my business to City where possible. That is also bad news if a percentage of the regulars who provide a constant revenue stream start to think the same way.
I wish the airport world worked the way most people expect... everything in contract terms to do with low cost blah blah is run to the line... Swissport do the same, SSP do the same, ICTS do the same... consumers want cheap flights.. this is the consequences... easyJet wanted extremely cheap handling and moved to Swissport 4 years ago.. now there is a monopoly.. and the only choice is Swissport for passenger flights.... which in busy times means poor service.

The Airport and ICTS did warn people before the incident.. and I do believe that the timing of this was a few days after the CAA audit.. which moved the goal posts again which required more staff to meet requirements.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/b...-call-14599147

Playing with fire using a priority pass for that reason... I know the mindset you are using.. I am guilty of hoping for the same if I am on a tight schedule.. but its risky.... it was only swamped due to desperation for a period of a few hours.

Refer to the T&Cs of the priority pass
https://www.belfastairport.com/media...y-lane-tcs.pdf

While 99% of the time it'll be fine, its the 1% that will catch you out..

Hopefully things will get sorted in the next few weeks and since it was out in the media about the delays.. people will leave extra time.. if they don't over the next few weeks I have no sympathy.. I will be allowing an extra 30-40 mins over the next few weeks.