PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Still broken? Is the RAF in better or worse shape than ten years ago
Old 4th May 2018, 10:31
Bob Viking

Received 521 Likes on 145 Posts
Why do we (Brits that is) insist on beating ourselves up about such things?

I still maintain that, superpowers aside, there isn’t really anyone that we should really fear in a realistic sense. Putting aside who we class as allies currently (I know these things can be fickle) who would we fear? Germany? France? Spain? Italy? Brazil? Argentina?

You may say Turkey or Iran or Saudi but our new carriers which, despite what the naysayers would have you believe, will be an awesome capability and could happily project power far beyond our island.

Assuming our alliances hold I still don’t think we should fear anyone for a while yet.

I know I am an eternal ray of sunshine in an otherwise cloudy world but a military that has 7 frontline Sqns of Typhoons, 2-3 Sqns of F35, carriers, nukes, MPA, modern AT aircraft, 30-40000 highly trained, well equipped fighting soldiers (I’m just talking teeth arms here) and the Red Arrows (cheeky one to see if you’re still paying attention) does not look too bad in comparison to most of our peers.

BV