PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minister calls for ga consensus on change to act
Old 3rd May 2018, 10:26
Sandy Reith

Received 77 Likes on 36 Posts
Airport leasehold problems and careless government

Clare Props problems stem from one simple principle. If there are no inbuilt incentives for the proper management of a parcel of land, like a government lacking incentive to police their lease conditions, then hoping followed by disappointment will follow.

Isn’t it amazing that we all can see and benefit from free enterprise of which private property rights are an essential element. The whole of our social edifice relies on the inherent fairness of property rights in law and, coupled with judicial and other institutions, the whole has conveyed unprecedented prosperity.

In the field of aviation and airports it as though we are back in the Dark Ages when the Monarch did anything and couldn’t care less for the poor benighted peasants down at the lower levels of precipitous life or death.

As one who based a life and career on my privately owned airport and enjoyed the benefits of the property value by way of an unrestricted use right, and later as a very valuable asset which translated into a retirement fund, I say that government must make freehold available to individual aviation businesses on government owned airports. What would be wrong with private landside property and community runways and parking areas? This should be exactly the same as any other businesses abutting roads.

To invest, grow and develop a business with initial borrowing you need the solidity of freehold. Can this be a reasonable hope for the future? I doubt that because the free enterprise concept is not fully developed in our society as yet.