PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Immigration & forces brats born abroad
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2018, 13:59
melmothtw

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts
Immigration & forces brats born abroad

Speaking as a forces brat who was born abroad due to my father's posting some decades ago, I've been following the recent immigration omnishambles with an increasing sense of disquiet.

Though both my parents were/are British and though I have no connection with the country of my birth, beyond being born there, I hear the stories of those who have lived in this country for decades and who have had British passports, paid taxes to the UK government, and in at least one case served in the British Army, only to be told in the last few months that they are no longer considered to be British.

I don't want to turn this into a Brexit/not Brexit thing, but the government plays to the mood music and that that has been decidedly hostile to immigration of all forms over recent months and years, and my concern from all the cases that I am hearing is that just because you believe yourself to be British it is no guarantee that the authorities will see it that way (and it appears that having previously held a passport or paid taxes is no indicator as to what your status might really be).

I imagine there are a fair few PPRuNErs out there who were similarly born abroad to forces parents, and I was wondering if you are experiencing similar concerns. Indeed, have you run into any issues in terms of having to prove your 'Britishness' to officialdom? We are, after all, already classed as 'foreign' when it comes to the Census (there is no 'born aboard to forces parents' box to tick), and in the current climate it isn't such a big leap to see us having to prove our right to be here when the new post-Brexit rules and regulations come into being.

Also, if you have not experienced problems or have no concerns for yourselves, have you run into any issues when it comes to your kids not having a UK-born parent, and is that a concern?

Like I said, not looking for another Brexit dust-up here. Am genuinely interested to hear the thoughts who might be similarly concerned/affected.

Thanks

Last edited by melmothtw; 2nd May 2018 at 15:03.