PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belfast International-2
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2018, 21:42
owenc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedhawk
I think there are a couple of reasons why Virgin have showed no interest in BFS to JFK/BOS/YYZ flights, and are unlikely to do so anytime soon;

United were unable to make BFS-EWR work, despite having daily B752 flights providing connections to over 100 destinations. Virgin would have to use the much larger B789/A333, and Delta's JFK hub provides a lot fewer connections than United at EWR.

Additional services from BFS would require Virgin to order additional aircraft or axe existing routes, as there's simply no capacity available for the flights.

Demand on transatlantic routes from BFS isn't yet high enough to sustain more than one airline. Norwegian is (albeit seasonally) still operating from BFS, meaning any potential Virgin service would need to rely heavily on transfer passengers, as a large number of point-to-point and budget travellers would choose to fly Norwegian.

I don't think Virgin will add flights to JFK/BOS/YYZ from BFS anytime soon, but if their MCO service continues to be a success then I could see the frequency being increased, and there is always a remote possibility of flights to LAS/BGI.
United was too expensive, and it did work. I think one year they carried 90,000 passengers, then it decreased thereafter for whatever reason. I think it would be hard to compete with Dublin's 7 daily flights to NYC.