PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medevac AS 350 B2 Crash Wisconsin
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2018, 15:20
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Medevac AS 350 B2 Crash Wisconsin

3 dead in Hazelhurst medical helicopter crash
By Team Coverage Posted: Fri 8:59 AM, Apr 27, 2018 Updated: Fri 9:22 AM, Apr 27, 2018

HAZELHURST, Wis. (WSAW) -- The FAA confirms a medical helicopter crash Thursday night is fatal.A spokesman for the FAA said a Eurocopter AS350 helicopter departed Madison en route to Woodruff and crashed about 12 miles south of its destination. The helicopter is from Ascension.

A spokesman from Nimsgern Funeral Home said three people have died.

According to the Oneida County Sheriff's Office, the helicopter’s last known contact was at approximately 10:55 p.m. Thursday night. The Oneida County Dispatch Center received a call that the helicopter was missing at 11:22 p.m.

Tom Johnson said he lives close to the crash site, but initially wasn't sure what he had heard.

"Well, I woke up and I heard a loud noise and it sounded like a loud muffler. And I got up and looked outside and there was no lights anywhere and it was just dead quiet so I just went back to sleep. It was a lot of ... rotors hitting trees. Now that I know it was a helicopter, that makes sense. Since that what it sounded like-- that chopping sound. Then it was quiet," he said.Emergency responders searched the area last known, and located the helicopter in the Town of Hazelhurst in a wooded area near S. Blue Lake Road.

The Associated Press reports at least eight agencies were involved in the search.

Hazelhurst is about 5 miles south of Minocqua.

The NTSB will lead the investigation.
3 dead in Hazelhurst medical helicopter crash