PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diesel Piper Archer gets a 2nd engine
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2018, 06:52
Australopithecus

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Slatye
LeadSled - to be honest, it had not occurred to me that developed countries would have systems significantly different to our own with regards to endorsements. Presumably if you drop the endorsements then someone who knows how to fly a 172N can hop straight into a 172RG and go flying; this does not seem like a good idea. I guess the alternative is to require an endorsement for the aircraft model instead, but that seems like much more work than just having the current CSU/RG endorsements.

My concern with making all the controls automatic is that you end up with a plane similar to the Champion Lancer - which technically allows you to get a multi-engine rating, but the rating isn't actually usable on any other types. After all, if the Seminole DX doesn't give you a CSU endorsement, you're not going to be flying a "normal" Seminole, or a Seneca, or a Baron, or a Duchess, or a 310, or a 306, or even a 172RG or PA28R. I guess that as the number of these "automatic" twins increases the options will open up, but early-on there may be slim pickings for students who aren't familiar with the older types.

27/09 - that would make sense, and I certainly hope that it's correct. I'm still not certain though - I can certainly imagine some clever engineer saying "we can do both engines on one lever, saving $500 in parts and making the plane even easier to fly for beginners".
In North America for example there is no such thing as a csu or rg endorsement. Or a conventional gear (tailwheel) either. A pilot certificate confers upon the holder rights and responsibilities that include type familiarity without dragging some inspector into the equation. All single pilot aeroplanes are treated as a class...a S/E is good for all regular performance singles, likewise a M/E endorsement for all light twins.