PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ultra Long Range A350
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2018, 12:29
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by glofish
That sounds too good to be true. One possibility is that AB initially installed lousy cut-off probes. I however think that they try to sell another blunder with huge promises.
If you adjust the probes to fill the tank a little more, there are two apparent traps. First the overflow valves must be less trigger happy because i suspect that any shaking, banking, pitching would otherwise have them release too much of that precious superfill. This in itself could pose some problems with trapped gases. Second, it will be interesting to experience hot weather fuelling and subsequent mass vs. range problems. The tanks of the ME ULR aircraft pose some max fuelling problems above 36 degrees already, in the order of 2 to 5%, which leads right back to problem no1.
I know Singapore rarely gets over 33 degrees, but the targeted other big buyers airports for this new Wunderbus actually do.
As a second problem i see the MTOW. With two 4-wheel MLG there is no more increase possible (tires). The payload is already very small and thus not expandable, just as no additional aux tank. The much berated 777-200LR at least would have a comfortable margin to increase its MTOW, just as the newly offered 777X ULR.
I believe that the 350ULR will prove a tad inflexibel in daily ops when pushed to the desired range.
https://leehamnews.com/2016/03/30/ai...-range-8100nm/

Maybe sent them a email to ask the difference in the probes and their source & design of surge tanks - as I don't know or claim to.