PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HAAB Declared Distances
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2018, 12:14
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to my logbook, I have personally landed (and taken-off) from Addis Ababa [HAAB] / [ADD] on 56 occasions.

The temperature there is typically between +15ºC and +25ºC and the QNH is most often in a range of 1025mb to 1030mb.
Certain times of the year has frequent rain showers (i.e. wet runway) along with thunderstorms (i.e. windshear).
Given all the previous, coupled with the high airfield elevation, ones TAS can be very high (for takeoff, plus approach & landing... almost to the extent that tyre speeds can be limiting and energy management is crucial during the approach).
Have a look at / calculate the Density Altitude and also the True Altitude and what that does to descent rates (especially for the RNAV approaches from the west).
It's also the case that 250 knots below 10,000 ft needs to be planned for and adjusted to take account of the airfield's very high elevation (and local topography) for both take-off and approach!
Due to the topography to the west of the airfield (see pic, which was taken looking west towards R25 L/R), take-offs from, and go-arounds towards, Runways 25 (L/R) have emergency turns and / or are WAT limited.
The quoted runway gradients do not reflect reality, wherein those are based on a calculation of the the difference between the elevations at either end of the runway divided by the runway length. What they don't depict is that R25 (L/R) have an uphill slope for about 60% of their length, followed by a flat'ish spot for about 25% of their length, and then a fairly steep downslope for the remaining 15% of their length. It's the case that when you takeoff from R07R you are unable to see over & beyond the flat spot which is now in front of you, and so you'd better listen carefully to ATC and keep good SA to ensure that the runway beyond that flat spot is clear of other aircraft / vehicles / workers (of which there are lots milling about along the runway's edge, e.g. bird scarers waving their arms about and / or general workmen. TIA! ).

As those who've been there will attest, it can be a tricky place when the weather is bad, i.e. with African sized Cb's in the rainy season.
Attached Images

Last edited by Old King Coal; 26th Apr 2018 at 05:00.