PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta Passenger Fined $500 for apple
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2018, 05:18
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, now that I've solved l.garey's mystery, maybe someone else can solve mine. Why do you have *outbound* agriculture inspections leaving Hawaii on a domestic flight to another place in the US? To be clear, it is not the US Department of Agriculture, it's the State of Hawaii Agriculture department. Your baggage will be inspected for agricultural products (mostly pineapple) you are "smuggling" *out* of Hawaii ... so why does the State of Hawaii care what you take out of the state of Hawaii? I could understand inspecting *inbound* passengers for pineapple from someplace else ... might harbor disease of insects which could be detrimental to pineapple growing industry in Hawaii. For the same reasons, I could understand, say, the State of California agriculture authorities inspecting for pineapple *arriving* from Hawaii. California also grows pineapple, and they do have agriculture inspections at state borders for citrus particularly. I could see the logic for either. But why, if I buy a pineapple in the grocery store on Maui, and toss it in my suitcase to take back to Alaska, will the State of Hawaii inspect my luggage and confiscate my pineapple?