PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 23rd Apr 2018, 19:38
ERJ190

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I apply?

Hey guys, I have a question for you based in my situation at the moment. I'm 23, ATPL, and I work for a LC in Brazil, flying an Embraer 190/195 for almost 3 years. I'm moving for the A320 (in the same airline) in the next couple months and VERY LIKELY I might improve to the LHS in the next year...but in an ATR 72. Or I could just seat back in the A320 or A330 and wait for a direct entry as a captain at the ERJ, what would take about 3 years to happen.
I'm thinking about applying for the EK. My wages right now are about 2500 USD after taxes, which is not as good as it should be, but considering Brazil insn't Europe I can have a average+ life quality around here, flying 65h/month. As a captain in ATR, would earn about 4200 USD, improving as we move from equipment. Top salary if a career is build up here at this company would be about 6350 USD (after taxes) at the LHS of the A320, which I would guess is 8-10 years away from me. I know this salary is considerably low comparing to worldwide wages, and I`m really considering to build a career outside my country to improve my professional status and start saving a real amount of money.

I know a lot of guys from the forum are unhappy at the EK, but in my situation, shouldn't I give a try? I can't say Im unhappy at the airline, and I really can have a normal life with a standard car/standard apartment in my country, but I'm always afraid I will never be able to become a realized professional once aviation in Brazil doesn't offer us jobs in big carriers as EK or QR could provide me...I've been thinking about this subject over and over in the last months, and I'd like to listen to other people too!