PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SWA1380 - diversion to KPHL after engine event
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 19:21
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dangerous, but I'm going to make some assumptions. Engine failure, yaw, roll, autopilot tries to keep wings level with ailerons and control column goes to full scale PDQ. No doubt there was quite a bang. Autopilot lets go and a/c rolls. That would happen in only a few seconds. The startle factor must have been severe.
I wonder who was PF, but if I was captain I think I would have my hands and feet doing their thing. That in itself would be interesting if F/O (as PF) was also doing his thing. Knowing who had control would be essential, quickly.
One engine out FL325 means immediate descent, perhaps at idle to help control the yaw/roll. That needs ATC coordination/communication. A drift down in the scenario was highly unlikely.
Somewhere during the analysis of the engine bang they were then presented with the cabin ALT warning, then emergency descent.
This is worse than a bad hair day, and indeed at Gums says, idle thrust on the live makes life easier. They did have lots of height.
I'll be curious when/if they re-engaged the autopilot to reduce work load. The idle thrust on live + drag on sev damage engine would still give some yaw/roll problems, but rudder trim should have been enough to help the autopilot.
This really would have been a scenario of ANC & priorities.

I was curious, in the NTSB briefing, how he mentioned, and repeated the landing speeds for F30/40 landing; explaining their F5 landing was 30kts faster than normal. Difference between F5 & F15 is 10kts.

Good to hear the CVR/FDR and crew debriefing is underway expeditiously.