PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta AW139
Thread: Agusta AW139
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2018, 20:27
Outwest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buitenzorg
Outwest, having had a similar experience recently you have my full sympathy. However I disagree with your arguments for routine selection of the torque limiter for AEO operations. Let’s call it a divergence of priorities.

Anyone remember the massive overtorque incident in Nigeria some years ago (not in a 139)? Day visual approach to a rig, lost all visual references in heavy rain, disorientation and pulled IIRC 159% of allowable torque before recovery. If their available torque had been electronically limited to 114% they would have stalled the rotor and everyone would have died. As SASless puts it: “Ass, tin, ticket”. Having the torque limiter selected removes the crew’s option to use the tin to save the asses.

Ironically my operation’s SOP is to have the torque limiter selected throughout the flight; the argument that the belief that an epidemic of overtorques would ensue if we stopped doing so shows a worrying lack of confidence in our training program, has had very little effect. Plus, as Geoff points out, selecting the torque limiter basically “arms” the OEI TNG switch (in a situation where you really don’t want an inadvertent simulated OEI event).
You may have misunderstood my intent or I was not clear enough. I definitely don't agree with the use of the Tq limiter for day to day operations. I was suggesting it's use ONLY while doing this sort of training where the a/c is light and there is a risk of an overtorque if things go pear shaped.