PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where Could I Go; Ex-Mil FJ?
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2018, 15:38
mattrbrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently left RAF now in TUI

I recently left the RAF to fly with TUI. Give me a PM if you want to chat about it.

Matt

Originally Posted by 5 Forward 6 Back
Hello all,

I've been retired from the RAF for around a year. Really miss flying, and am considering jumping from an executive job back into the cockpit. I have 2500 hours but almost all fast jet with absolutely zero ME time, so I'd be applying with the typical ATPL theory pass, CPL/ME IR & MCC. Obviously no TR. No recent colleagues have gone into the airlines so not sure about current options.

I'm not sure if it's the right move. After so long in the military, the stability of living at home is wonderful. Initial impressions are that the only jobs for non-TR pilots are on tiny salaries and involve distant bases. I took a decent pay rise on leaving the military and I don't necessarily want to throw it all away, but would certainly accept a few years of lower earnings if there was potential in the future. Bearing in mind I've retired once so don't want to necessarily have to wait 20 more years before a command opportunity, or the chance to work as a trainer or examiner (was an ex-multiple A2 QFI, IRET, CFS Examiner etc).

Are there actually any jobs out there that ex-FJ guys can be competitive in, without needing to move to another country? Very aware of my limits being purely FJ, but feel like I'm sitting on a lot of useful experience and would love to use it again. Completely clueless about the options; any advice would be much appreciated.