PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One pilot union for all Australian pilots.
Old 19th Apr 2018, 13:55
Beer Baron

Received 153 Likes on 48 Posts
When I was first told about AFAP’s application to cover Qantas pilots I was told it was pushed by a group of AFAP members still bitter over historical feelings of injustice relating to AIPA.

I wasn’t inclined to believe this idea.

I read this thread trying to get to the true reason but no one on the AFAP side seemed prepared to explain the motive. One had to call AFAP to be told the big secret.

Fanciful notions of ‘unity’ and ‘mergers’ were floated as good natured reasons for the move.
On speaking directly to AFAP I was given a more believable, if disappointing, reason for the application.

However, the more posts I read from Don Diego about how the OSB deserted AFAP back in the day, to AIPA stealing Q-Link members in 2004, helping Virgin pilots create VIPA, turning their back on Impulse pilots, etc. etc. And how excited Don seems at the notion of payback for all of these perceived ills. The more I wonder if that initial reason I was given is in fact far more accurate than any put forward here.

There have been far more words typed about what terrible things AIPA has done to AFAP than anything to do with what benefits AFAP will bring to Qantas pilots. Very telling.