PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SWA1380 - diversion to KPHL after engine event
Old 18th Apr 2018, 13:25
Good Business Sense

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by framer
It’s not amazing when you consider that there are only eight of us pilots left on the forum
I’ve been considering the way I would prioritise my actions in this circumstance. There would be a lot to do with the depressurisation and engine fail/fire indications occurring simultaneously. The first 120 seconds would be very intense.
Spot on Framer - very intense indeed - for my sins I got this T-shirt in a full A330 in 1996 - engine failure climbing through 37,000 immediately followed by a depress. Thankfully, the engine didn't destroy itself in the way this one did - it just stopped with a bang. The biggest bug bear is the noise of the multiple warnings and cautions - noise can really interfere with a clear thought process and I don't think this is considered enough in accident investigation.

I've got to say that having our Air Traffic brothers and sisters helping in situations like these is a great workload relief in terms of navigation, aircraft separation etc, unfortunately, my day was departing from a small far eastern airport where ATC doubled the workload with their comms and actions. The controllers on this one were just fantastic - hats off to them too.

Sounds as though the flight crew did a really great professional job.

Best