PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK pilot shortage admitted by TC
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2018, 23:04
Fat Busdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BANANASBANANAS
In theory, yes. But the way these things tend to go is that, first, the relevant tax authority decides you are resident for tax purposes and, secondly, there is resistance to the reverse rostering system by, and representation from, other unionised airlines who feel that their members jobs, terms, conditions and benefits are at risk of being undercut by non union airlines operating from within their country - even though it may be called reverse rostering.

Before you know where you are, either an employee has decided to try to claim the protection of the local labor laws, or other airline union representation has forced the reverse rostering practice to be cancelled.

The only airline I know that seems to make a success of it is Korean who, correct me if I am wrong, pay your Korean tax for you. As income in UAE is still (for the moment) tax free, there is likely to be a substantial tax burden on reverse rostered bases and people who pay tax tend to demand representation.
I do agree with you, there are a lot of problems that could arise, but European Airlines are masters at avoiding laws, labour shopping, undermining the unions etc, What do you thing about Emma Royds smart suggestion? Layover for 7 days? Is it legally possible? Of course when it comes to paying tax its every man for himself, that is a personal issue, some will avoid some will pay.